We recently ran a little Instagram giveaway to see if anyone knew where this rock was located. We had a couple of correct answers along with an inquiry about the story behind it. For this we turned to Elizabeth Rose, Library Director at Fairfield Museum and History Center. Here is what she had to say:
The rock is known as Pulpit Rock and was originally part of the estate of Rev. Samuel Osgood (1812-1880) on Unquowa Road (the estate was known as Waldstein and then later as Mosswood). There was originally a wooden pulpit on top of the rock where Rev. Osgood would preach on occasion. His daughter, Mabel Osgood Wright, later made the estate her home; she is known as a naturalist, author of numerous books, and founder of the CT Audubon Society.
Here is a photo of how it used to look with the pulpit on top.
You can find Pulpit Rock on Unqowa Road on the same side of the street as the train station. Map it »