Make wonderful holiday memories with your family! Pile into the car and head out on a Christmas tree hunting adventure. Many local farms offer the perfect setting for an exciting escapade; beautiful scenery, hay rides, refreshments and fresh air hiking opportunities.
According to the National Christmas Tree Association, 29 million households will be enjoying live Christmas tree’s this season. According to The Arbor Day Foundation, the best way to ensure getting the most beautiful tree and guarantee freshness is to cut your own from a local farm (or buy their precut tree). New tree’s will then be planted and it will be a selective harvest. In addition, you’ll help preserve local jobs, open space and there will be no shipping cost/carbon emissions due to transport.
The Audubon Society H. Smith Richardson Tree Farm
Sasco Creek Road, Westport
- Offers choose and cut Christmas trees, pretagging and a gift shop
- Call 203-623-0464
Everett’s Corner Tree Farm
136 Sherwood Road, Easton
- Choose and cut your own Christmas Trees (White Spruce, Blue Spruce, White Pine) any tree, any size, saws are provided, free baling, tree transport wagons, twine to secure your tree to your car.
- Call 203-268-2508
Gordon’s Tree Farm
488 sport Hill Road, Easton
- Offers choose and cut Christmas trees
- Call 203-261-TREE
Maple Row Tree Farm
538 North Park Avenue, Easton
- This farm invites you to browse their wide selection of precut or ‘choose and cut your own’ tree’s — Firs, Spruce and White Pine are offered in 8 varieties and are up to 10 feet tall. The trees sit on over 200 acres. Maple Row has been growing some of New England’s finest Christmas tree’s since the 1950’s. Services include tree transports (from field to parking lot), tree baling, hand saws are provided, warming huts are conveniently located throughout the farm, leashed dogs are allowed. Bonus: Free hayrides up and down the mountain pulled by antique tractors. Cash or checks, $65 per tree. Tip: Pack a picnic.
- Call 203-261-9577
Jones Family Farm
266 Israel Hill Road, Shelton
- This farm has been open for over 60 years and has 200 acres of Christmas trees. Visitors are welcome to hike through the farm and harvest their own tree — Balsam Fir, Colorado Blue Spruce, Douglas Fir, Fraser Fir. Pre-cut trees are also available — Balsam fir, Douglas Fir, Fraser Fir, Colorado Blue Spruce. The Homestead Barnyard is filled with wreaths, garlands, bows, tree stands, and pinecones, the Jones Winery Tasting Room, the Holiday Gatherings Gift Shop and a Harvest Kitchen Christmas Canteen. Along with each tree purchased, each family will receive a dated and farm-designed pewter ornament from Woodbury Pewter. Hand saws are provided, farmers will bale your tree and twine is provided. Cash and checks only. $65 per tree. Trees up to 10 feet tall are available. Leashed dogs are allowed; bring your own baggies for cleanups.
- Call 203-929-8425
10 Wickliffe Circle, Bridgeport
- Lake Location has pesticide-free fresh Mistletoe available. It is cut to order so call ahead!
- Call 203-556-3358
Tips on how to keep your tree fresh
- Cut off a disc of .5 to 1 inch thick from the base of the tree before putting it into the tree stand.
- Fill the stand with cold water covering at least an inch above the bottom of the tree base.
- Trees will absorb as much as a gallon of water or more in the first 24 hours after being cut and one or more quarts each day thereafter.
- Maintaining a steady water level prevents the needles from drying out and dropping off. Water will also help to keep your tree fragrant. Do not allow the water to go below the tree base.
- You may want to bring something to put down on the roof of your car so the tree doesn’t scratch it.
Don’t forget your camera as you enjoy this holiday adventure! Happy Holidays!